A beautiful Thanksgiving table setting is a must, especially if you pull out all the stops to create a delicious holiday menu. It’ll help make the atmosphere more memorable than any other Thanksgiving dinner.
As your guests gather around, a thoughtfully-designed tablescape will likely have them snapping pictures as they ooh and aah over the extra-special experience you’ve created. And what better reaction could a hardworking host ask for?
We know hosting a holiday dinner is demanding, and you’ll be plenty busy in the kitchen — and touching up your home decor. To help you out, we’ve collected our top five quick and easy Thanksgiving table setting ideas to help you get through your hosting to-do list faster. Keep reading to find the perfect look for your holiday table.
Top 5 Thanksgiving table setting ideas
A beautiful Thanksgiving tablescape will elevate your dinner and make it a memorable event for all of your loved ones. And you can make it as simple or extravagant as you’d like — what matters is a thoughtful design that brings a touch of your unique personality to the dinner table.
Below, we’ve highlighted Thanksgiving table setting ideas, complete with pictures and extra tips to make each one your own. It’s time for some decoration inspiration.
1. Fall gourds and leaves
You can’t go wrong decorating your table with seasonal gourds and a few colorful fall leaves for a minimalist Thanksgiving centerpiece. It’s a cost-effective look that works well with modern dinnerware and Scandinavian interior design. And if you’re short on time, it’s quick and easy to put together.
Here are the essential elements you’ll need to capture this fall table aesthetic:
- White plates with silver flatware
- White or gray cloth napkins and placemats
- 8-12 mini pumpkins and gourds for the center of the table
To take this look to the next level, add some of the following accents:
- 4-6 silver candlesticks
- A handful of acorns and colorful fall leaves (real or faux)
- 2-4 straw bales with pumpkins and gourds for an extra pop of color and texture
This design works well with a minimalist color palette and a modern Scandi vibe. If you opt to add straw bales in the corner of the dining room, consider placing them on burlap cloth to contain the mess.
2. Elegant greenery and simple place settings
If your dining room features a traditional interior design style, create a quick and easy Thanksgiving table setting with greenery. You can skip the placemats and table runners, emphasizing elegant dinner plates and a rich, warm color scheme.
Here are the key elements you’ll need to bring this elegant table decor idea to life:
- 2-3 planters with succulents and leafy indoor plants (real or faux)
- Plates and glassware with gold accents
- Gold flatware and napkin rings
To take this look to the next level, you might introduce some of the following accents:
- Hidden phone chargers in the center of the table (great for modern families and large gatherings)
- Gold place card holders
- Votive candle holders on nearby sideboard or buffet to add natural warmth (unnecessary if you’re lucky enough to have a fireplace in the room)
Since this look isn’t overly Thanksgiving-themed, you can keep the greenery in the center of the table year-round or through the rest of the holiday season. Or, if you’d like more of a fall appeal, add a few pieces of Thanksgiving table decor, like a pair of white pumpkins or cinnamon-scented pinecones.
3. Warm candlelight with a table runner and greenery
Are you looking for a more romantic theme? If so, you can use warm candlelight and seasonal greenery to transform your dining area and give the table a distinct glow. Plus, you can dress this design up or down as needed to fit your style.
Here are the basic elements you’ll need:
- Elegant table runner
- 6-10 candles with holders
- Simple silverware and plates
- Decorative fall greenery (e.g., sprigs of eucalyptus, an ivy garland, or bundles of rosemary)
You can make this look your own by adding some of these accents:
- DIY Thanksgiving place cards on salad plates
- Jute twine wrapped around the candles
- A handful of acorns or fall foliage around the greenery (real or faux)
When it’s time for dinner, light your candles and dim the overhead lights to create a warm and inviting atmosphere. Bonus points if you have mulled wine or cider on the stove to create an aromatic experience.
4. Rustic place settings with fall foliage
If you’d like to skip the tablecloths, place cards, and centerpieces to make room for a feast of epic proportions, rustic place settings can make a big impact. And they work well with mix-and-match dining chairs and plates.
Here’s what you’ll need to get the look on each plate:
- Linens or napkins (try deep green, burnt orange, or rich brown colors)
- Decorative sprigs of leaves or branches
- Rustic scraps of cloth to tie everything together
Start by placing a folded linen on each plate. Then tie two sprigs of leaves or branches behind the silverware using rustic scraps of cloth. Set the silverware bundles on the linen and arrange the sprigs of leaves or branches artfully to either side.
Here are some accents you can add to the table if you’d like to dress up the look:
- Black and white plaid tablecloth or runner
- Brown Kraft paper placemats or table covering (this works well for a smaller, matching kids’ table)
- Scattered fall leaves, pinecones, or acorns (real or faux)
Rustic fall decor leaves wiggle room, so have fun with this design. By focusing on the place settings, you can make your delicious food the center of attention.
5. Rustic tablecloth with a simple centerpiece
If you have a farmhouse-style dining table, try creating a casual Thanksgiving table setting to keep the atmosphere lighthearted. This look works well for informal dining areas and those that share space with the kitchen.
Here are the most important elements you’ll need to create this casual fall table appeal:
- DIY hollowed-out sugar pumpkin (real or faux) to hold a flower or foliage bouquet
- Large white tablecloth with a warm-toned runner or smaller tablecloth on top
- Warm-toned cloth napkins atop the place settings
You can dress up this fun Thanksgiving table setting with some of these elements:
- Layered warm-toned and white plates to mirror the layered tablecloths
- Warm-toned glassware or Mason jars for a cozy farmhouse appeal
- Mini pumpkins on each plate to complement the centerpiece
Pro tip: If you hollow out a real sugar pumpkin to use as the centerpiece, do it within 24 hours of Thanksgiving to make sure it smells and looks fresh. Also, consider buying a few extra for homemade pumpkin pie!
Beautiful tables for your Thanksgiving feast
Need a new dining table to bring your Thanksgiving table setting to life? If so, we have you covered — take a look at four of our favorite options.
Calandra 6-Piece Dining Set
The Calandra 6-Piece Dining Set features a vintage-style rectangular dining table, four side chairs, and one bench in a vintage java finish. The table has a blocky silhouette and extension leaves to make room for the whole family. You can even add a matching server to complete the set.
Jakob 5-Piece Rectangular Dining Set
The Jakob 5-Piece Rectangular Dining Set comes with a table, four chairs, and a self-storing leaf to make room for larger holiday gatherings. The chairs feature soft grey upholstery for a comfortable, stylish experience, and the entire set has a distinct modern farmhouse appeal. You can buy additional matching chairs to expand the collection.
Delphine 7-Piece Dining Set
The Delphine 7-Piece Dining Set comes with a table, four side chairs, and two armchairs for traditional dining room appeal. In addition, it features an extension leaf for hosting dinners and a classic trestle design, and you can add a matching server to complete your dining room set.
Rory 5-Piece Dining Set (for the kids)
The Rory 5-Piece Dining Set is a multi-color kids’ table that’s made with the little ones in mind. It includes four colorful chairs and a pint-sized square table that can match any decor style.
Set the scene for an epic Thanksgiving dinner
A beautiful Thanksgiving table setting will make the holiday memorable for you and your loved ones. You can recreate a design from above, combine two of your favorites, or use these ideas to create something new. And if you’re doing a kids’ table, you can match it to the adults’ table or create a second Thanksgiving table setting to make the kiddos feel special.
If you’re thinking about upgrading your dining room before the holiday arrives, check out the full selection of options on Coaster Furniture to find the perfect pieces. Then, use our convenient store locator to find a retailer near you for easy shopping.
Calandra 6-piece Dining Set with Bench Vintage Java
Jakob 5-piece Rectangular Dining Set Grey and Black
Avenue 7-piece Dining Set with Extension Leaf Vintage Dark Pine
Browse All Furniture